Have you been affected by the 'Divorce Boom?'

  • Author: Gemma Thew
  • Posted on: 23rd February 2021
  • Posted in: Blog

Christmas is often a difficult time for couples who are experiencing problems in their relationship, so we, as well as many other law firms typically see a spike in separation and divorce enquiries early on in the New Year. However, the number of enquiries we expect to receive in January and February will likely be higher this year. The arrival of the Coronavirus pandemic in March last year has led to many relationships which may have already been at breaking point, being put under additional and unexpected stresses and strains.

Last year, the Citizens Advice Bureau reported record numbers of people looking up how to divorce their spouse on the charity’s website. The extreme change in circumstance means many couples could be facing separation or divorce sooner than expected, as the effects of living in a difficult relationship during lockdown will have forced couples into taking action.

Issues such as redundancy, adultery, dealing with childcare and coping with domestic violence, to name just a few, will all have been exacerbated by the pandemic. 

What to do if your relationship has been affected by the 'Divorce Boom'?

Making the decision to start divorce proceedings is never easy and especially whilst you are trying to navigate your way through a pandemic, but if you decide that this is the right option for you and your family, then here is what you need to do to get started:

  • Check you can get a divorce- here are a few basic points to consider to ensure you are eligible for divorce:

  1. You must have been married for over a year
  2. Your relationship is irretrievable 
  3. You are a permanent UK resident or the UK is your partners permanent home

  • Grounds for divorce- You need to be able to prove that your marriage has broken down and is beyond repair by citing one of the following reasons:

  1. Adultery
  2. Unreasonable behaviour
  3. Desertion
  4. You have been separated for at least 2 years
  5. You have been separated for at least 5 years

Your next step is to try and agree on arrangements for looking after any children, as well as child maintenance payments. You can also consider dividing property and money but you must make sure that this is within a timeframe that means it is legally binding, to do this you will need a consent order which will need to be approved by the court. 

What if we can't agree on the terms?

If you and your ex-partner are unable to agree on the terms of separation or divorce, then you could try mediation, or you could seek advice from an experienced law firm to help you iron out the details. This will help you move forward towards a satisfactory outcome and can help you to avoid making any costly mistakes during the process. 

Still have questions on where to start or need to talk through your matter?

You may still have questions about separation and divorce which you would want to talk through before starting the process which is completely normal. If you would like to discuss your family law matter with an experienced and professional solicitor then please do get in touch.

You can call us on 01273 734 600 to speak to a member of our family law team or email advice@crosbywoods.co.uk- we promise to deal with your matter professionally, empathetically and confidentially at all times.